Children Home International Activities
Children Home International’s child sponsorship program is designed to impact every phase of a child’s life. By sponsoring a child, you provide one impoverished child with a wide range of critical benefits, access to educational support, the encouragement and care of our staff and much, much more.
Our basic benefits help relieve the daily struggles of child poverty and guide poor children toward happier, more productive futures. They include:
CHILD HEALTH CARE PROGRAMS
In poverty-stricken communities, children and youth are exposed to numerous health dangers every day.
- In congested urban slums, they navigate landscapes of broken glass and exposed trash, avoiding illegal power lines and chaotic traffic and breathing heavily polluted air.
- In rural environments, children climb treacherous hillsides on narrow, rocky paths and often live in poorly built homes that offer little protection from the elements.
Most poor communities also lack basic sanitation services and clean water sources. Contaminated soil and water expose kids to parasites, diseases, and other serious health problems. Together, these threats make it difficult for children in poverty to remain healthy, active and able to attend school.
Children Home International focuses on the overall health of children in need by providing access to:
- Routine medical checkups
- Curative procedures
- Dental checkups and treatment
- Malnutrition screening and rehabilitation
- Anti-parasite campaign
- Tuberculosis treatment and care
- Health and hygiene education
- Electronic medical records
- Health care professionals, including doctors, dentists, nurses, therapists and nutritionists
- Emergency care for children with critical injuries or illness.
It’s a sad fact that many children around the world don’t get enough to eat, and the foods they do eat often lack essential nutrients vital to a child’s overall health and growth. Malnutrition slows a child’s development and makes them vulnerable to a number of illnesses.
Good nutrition is a building block for proper development that strengthens the immune system, enhances cognitive and physical development and increases concentration in school. Children who don’t get the foods and nutrients necessary to maintain proper nutrition are denied all these benefits.
HOW WE HELP
We help address the nutritional needs of children and youth in the following ways:
- Sponsored children receive regular health and malnutrition screenings.
- Our feeding programs treat malnourished children by providing them with nutritious meals and regular monitoring of progress.
- Parents are taught nutrition fundamentals and are provided with meal-preparation training and information about preparing nutritious meals from locally available, inexpensive foods.
- CHI field agencies will use different methods to improve the nutrition of their sponsored populations. Three examples are:
- Run feeding programs in poor community schools to ensure every student receives at least one nutritious meal per day.
- Start a garden where sponsored kids and parents can learn how to successfully grow a variety of nutritious vegetables.
- Teach sponsored parents innovative ways to grow nutritious foods in crowded urban areas.
RESOURCES TO EDUCATE A CHILD
Education plays the central role in escaping generational poverty. It’s been estimated that for every year a child stays in school, their future earning potential increases by 10-20 percent. Unfortunately, many families in poverty consider education a luxury and even those who value it can find it difficult to afford.
- Uniforms: clothing, backpacks, and shoes
- Supplies: textbooks, calculators, notebooks, pencils, and pens
- Financial support: school fees and transportation costs
- Libraries: study areas and reading materials for all ages
- Study aids: tutoring, educational workshops, and special youth programs
- Computer centers: free Internet access, basic computing courses, and tutoring services
- Scholarships: vocational training, college and university assistance
- Community literacy: books for classrooms and libraries, mobile libraries and reading tents
All too often, kids from communities that lack positive opportunities and role models find negative influences to fill the void. Instead of developing the skills and values that build character and enhance their chances of leading successful lives, youth who are unable to gain a foothold in the job market can easily fall into patterns of negative behavior that can keep them chained to poverty for the rest of their lives.
As they transition into adulthood, this solid foundation is also essential for youth to acquire the specialized skills, workplace ethics and strength of character they’ll need to enter the working world and thrive.
EMPOWERING GIRLS | OUR GIRL CHILD PROGRAM
Girls are exposed to different forms of gender-based violence. In some areas, they are sent into early and forceful marriages. These girls are also generally deprived of pursuing their education and are not involved in taking decisions that concern them directly like pursuing a career or choosing a lifetime partner of their choice. Forced marriages together with sexual and physical violence lead to a life of pain, trauma, dejection and even death.
Children Home International works for a world in which all girls can grow up respected, healthy and educated.
- Educative talks with girls and women
- Counseling of girls
- Health campaigns for girls – reproductive education, family planning, and hygiene
- Educating boys and men on the consequences of gender-based violences
- Encouraging girls into scientific and technical education
- entrepreneurial workshops for girls